Family photography has long been something many families have chosen to invest in to capture precious memories for years to come. Your family will never be exactly as it is today, capturing precious moments now means you can enjoy them for years to come even when your children are long grown. What family photography shouldn’t be is stressful or exhausting so I aim to make it the opposite – FUN!
I exclusively photograph older children and families outdoors for a few reasons:
- Once kids can move, they want to! And trying to get a 2yr old to stay in one spot for more than a millisecond will test the patience of event the most saintly of parents! Instead I let your kids run around and explore, in fact I run around like a mad woman after them and sometimes chasing them!
- Children can easily become overwhelmed, shy or intimidated in a formal studio setting particularly when introduced to a stranger who then blows raspberries at them 😉 Outdoors is so much more informal and relaxed for kids and their grown ups.
- Variety is the spice of life! You probably don’t want 20 images of your family all looking the same, posing on a plain background feeling awkward. Outdoor locations provide a gorgeous mix of backdrops without the need for formal posing or forced smiles.
Which moves me on to a few things you might already wonder or been worried about when considering a family photoshoot.
Things I Will NOT do:
- Ask your kids to smile
- Expect them to be on their best behaviour and cooperate
- Expect you to do anything other than get everyone dressed and show up
Things I WILL do:
- Get your kids to smile
- Run around like a mad woman, make silly faces and fart noises and maybe even wiggle my bum behind your back
- Squeal over how cute your kids are
- Encourage loads of fun play and maybe a touch of cheekiness 😉
Does that sound a bit more fun than you expected? I hope so!
So why might you want to book an outdoor family photoshoot? This is the ideal session for you if you prefer more natural family photos with a relaxed feel but that is still beautifully lit and composed. Do you cringe at the thought of having to stand in front of a camera and smile on demand while standing in an unnatural pose? Then this photoshoot is the perfect option for you!
Now seeing as Edinburgh has such an unpredictable Scottish climate there may be one more thing you’re wondering about. Ah yes, that wonderful Scottish weather! So what happens if the weather is terrible on the day? Simple, we will reschedule! I don’t want you or your little ones to be soaked, freezing or miserably windswept so we will stay in touch in the lead up to your session and plan accordingly. I will also help guide your outfit choices so you feel comfortable, cosy and coordinated.
Want to chat more about what sort of photoshoot you would like for your family and discuss location ideas? Then please fill out the contact form here and I will get back to you as soon as I can!
Once you have decided I am the right photographer for your family please fill out the contact form below and we can find the best time, date and location to suit!
I have had maternity, newborn and family photos taken by Rachael. Her work is flawless!! She is wonderful with children and manages to capture the most amazing images that you will treasure for a lifetime. A true professional. I can’t sing her praises enough. We will come back and back. Thank you Rachael xxLindsay Gladstone