Lockdown fun for kids – rainbows!
Rainbow themed fun activities for families in lockdown
Im sure lots of you will have seen the posts on social media asking families to paint/draw/create a rainbow for their windows to spread some cheer during lockdown. So I thought I would do a quick blog post with some other rainbow fun activities suitable for a variety of ages!
Our children are age 11 and 3 so with such a big age gap it can sometimes be tricky to find things they are both able to do. I have road tested these with my kids so they should be suitable for toddlers through to high school age kids.
1. Find the colours of the rainbow in nature!
On our daily allowed walk I asked the boys to find all of the colours of the rainbow but only on things that are from nature so no cheating by using cars or front doors! We spotted a ladybird and many different plants and flowers on our walk to make up our rainbow!
2. Create a rainbow using items found in your home.
This is a fun scavenger hunt type activity that all ages can join in! Find as many items of each colour and put them together to create a mixed media rainbow! We split the boys and worked as two teams of two to find specific colours then worked together to make ours it was lots of fun!
3. Make a rainbow snack!
This is fun and healthy too! Use fruits and vegetables to create your very own rainbow snack! Great for all ages and makes snack time more fun and colourful!
My kids loved this activity especially Ollie who we refer to as our little fruit bat!
4. Make rainbow spaghetti for messy sensory play fun!
Rainbow spaghetti is something I first made years ago when I was a nursery nurse and the toddlers loved it! Anything sensory was always a big hit with the babies too! To make rainbow spaghetti just cook up a pack of spaghetti then toss the cooked, drained pasta in a little oil (2 tablespoons should be plenty) and divide into 5 bowls. Add liquid food colouring to each bowl and stir through. You can then mix the colours together for your rainbow spaghetti! To extend the play you can give children chopsticks or forks to try and pick up the spaghetti and work those fine motor skills. Or add in plastic toys as treasure to dig in and find like dinosaurs or animal figures! This is a great activity to take outdoors so you don’t have to worry about the mess. pop the spaghetti into a large container such as a washing up bowl or garden tub or water tray! A baby bath also works and babies love to stand in the spaghetti to squish between toes!
5. make rainbow rocks!
This is a super easy activity that all ages can enjoy and leads to wonderful open ended imaginative play. All you need are some nice smooth stones (if you have a beach walkable to your home now is a great time to head out for your daily walk and collect some!) I recommend using a mix of sizes and aiming to have enough for at least 3 per colour. Wash and dry your stones then paint with acrylic paints. Once dried you can arrange them into a rainbow shape. Great to practice counting, talk about colours, sizes eg can you arrange them from smallest to biggest? Or stack them with the biggest at the bottom and the smallest at the top?! If you want the stones to be safe to use long term you can seal the paint with acrylic sealant available on amazon and from your local arts/craft supplies shop.
I hope you enjoy, Id love to see some photos of what you create!
If you enjoyed this blog and would like more ideas for keeping little ones entertained please join our new Facebook group!
The day before your maternity photoshoot I recommend that you:
- Wax/Shave your legs, bikini area and underarms if aiming for a smooth look
- Apply body lotion so skin is soft and smooth
- If you prefer painted nails please have these done no earlier than the day before your photoshoot to avoid chips. Consider colours that will tone in with the dress colours. Muted/neutral tones or a classic red work with almost anything!
- Fake tan is best applied 2 days prior to your maternity photoshoot, and please remember to exfoliate before and after. It's much easier for me to warm up your skin tone in post processing than to fix patchy tan
HAIR & MAKE-UP
Whether you plan to do your own or have your hair and make up done professionally here are some top tips!
- Even if you normally wear your hair straight please add some loose curls. Soft waves add shape and movement to hair and look so much nicer when the hair is blown away from your face by the fan
- For those of you who plan to wear false lashes please avoid very long, thick lashes as these will block the light from your face. A more natural style of false lash works much better
- Please bring your make up bag with you for top ups in case needed
- When having your make up done professionally I recommend asking for a "soft glam" look so you look polished and feel beautiful and like yourself
WHAT SHOULD PARTNERS/KIDS WEAR?
A few ideas if you have older siblings or a partner who would like to be photographed:
- Male partners are recommend to wear jeans/chinos and a self coloured shirt/t-shirt. Shirts/t-shirts should be black, grey or white to tone in with all dress options. Accompany with plain black socks.
- Female partners are welcome to use the dresses available or to bring along a selection of outfits to choose from.
- Ensure everything is freshly ironed and I recommend plain rather than patterned options
- Children's outfits should be coordinated with your partner. For example, everyone in jeans with white top/shirt for a cohesive look. Children will be barefoot so its worth giving nails a clean and trim the day before!
- Feeling unsure of what you have picked out? Feel free to send me photos I am happy to help!
WHAT TO DO ON THE DAY
First of all don't worry! I have a gorgeous collection of dresses, outfits and accessories to choose from so you don't need to bring anything along specifically unless you want to. I will do everything I can to put you at ease and make you feel fabulous!
Some final things to consider on the day:
- Avoid wearing a bra with straps or socks on the day as these will leave marks on the skin which can be difficult to remove in post processing
- Nude coloured strapless bra and nude coloured thong or seamless style underwear is ideal to wear under dresses
- So that we can focus on you, we will start with images that include your children. Your partner can then take the children to the park while we focus on you!
- Feel free to bring your partner or a friend with you, even if your partner doesn't want to be photographed. They will help you to feel relaxed and they can tell you how amazing you look!